IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING RENTAL REGISTRATION AND LICENSE EXEMPTION:
Any person or organization must submit a City of Erie Residential Rental Registration form for any rental unit they believe to be exempt from this program. Supporting documentation will be required as follows:
Owner-Occupied Rental-Unit Exemption
- Exemption only applies to the unit in the rental property that you own and reside.
- Provide a copy of a photo ID with your legal address listed (i.e., driver’s license or notarized statement as proof of residency).
Family-Occupied Rental-Unit Exemption
- This dwelling unit will be exempt if no net income is earned by the owner.
- Exemption only applies to parent, parent-in-law or adult children currently living in the house/building you own.
- Provide proof of relationship by one of the following methods:
- Where the parent or child have the same last name as the owner, a copy of their photo ID which includes their legal address will be required.
- Where the parent or child does not have the same last name as the owner, a notarized statement of the relationship will be required. If the applicant can provide any other legal means of proof (i.e., birth or marriage certificates), this will be accepted in place of a notarized statement.
Housing Authority of the City of Erie – Section 8 Rental-Unit Exemption
- Indicate any rental unit that falls under this category. This office regularly audits Housing Authority records as a means of verification. However, if you are subject to County, State, or Federal licensing and inspection, documentation from an International Agency (or an equivalent standard) listing all the codes the structure was inspected to should be provided.
If this office deems supporting documentation provided by property owners seeking any of the above stated exemptions is sufficiently met, the inspection requirements and said unit rental fee will be waived. Re. Article 330 Landlord and Rental.