Bulky Item Collection – Pilot Program
Some bulky items cannot be thrown away because they are too big to fit in a trash bag or your trash container.
The best option for disposing of bulky items in good condition is to give them to a friend or charitable organization. The Salvation Army (https://satruck.org/DropOff/Index?zip=16501), SafeNet http://www.safeneterie.org/how-you-can-help/donate-furniture/ and the Erie City Mission https://www.eriecitymission.org/our-programs/stores-and-donations will accept donations of many bulky items in good condition.
Bulky Item Pickup
The City of Erie will pick up many bulky items as a free service to its current residential refuse customers. Collection is limited to regular household trash. For example: a COUCH, CHAIR, MATTRESS, LAMP, TABLE, DRESSER, etc.
Some items cannot be collected by the City of Erie. This includes, but is not limited to:
- NO Large Appliances (washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators, hot water tanks, air conditioners, etc.)
- NO Automotive Items (batteries, tires)*
- NO Covered Electronic Devices (televisions, computers, laptops, monitors, keyboards, printers, speakers, e-readers, etc.)*
- NO Household Hazardous Waste (paint, oil, cleaners, pesticides, etc.)*
- NO Construction Materials of any kind
*Tires, Electronics & Household Hazardous Waste must be recycled at registered collection events or facilities
For these items, please call a private hauler (check online or the yellow pages under "Rubbish").
Scheduling a Bulky Item Pickup
City refuse customers may schedule to place ONE to THREE ITEMS curbside on their normal refuse night by calling 870-1550 between 08:30am and 04:30pm weekdays. NO BULKY ITEMS WILL BE COLLECTED UNLESS THE RESIDENT SCHEDULES COLLECTION and RECEIVES A CONFIRMATION NUMBER. Setting items out without a confirmation number or on other times is considered illegal dumping and violators will receive a citation. All other Recycling & Refuse guidelines remain in effect.
Regular household refuse, except for Bulky Large Items, must be in bags or cans.
Please make sure the items placed on the curb are away from any vehicles parked on the street and ensure that adequate space for our equipment to pick up the items is available. Remember, no matter what item is placed on the curb for collection, nothing is to be out more than 24 hours prior to the collection day per City code.
The City reserves the right to limit the number of scheduled pickups per day and limit the number of scheduled pickups at a single location.
Follow these guidelines:
- To schedule collection of bulky items, contact the City at 870-1550 between 08:30am and 04:30pm weekdays at least 72 hours in advance of your regular refuse pickup night and provide a brief description of the item(s) to be picked up. You will then receive a confirmation number.
- Place the large item in front of your home away from obstructions on your specially scheduled collection day.
- Roll carpet, cut into 4-foot sections bundled and tied it with rope.
- Leave furniture assembled.
- Glass must be removed from bulk items, placed in a box, taped and marked glass.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning up any glass residue that may remain on the ground in front of their home as a result of collection.